Wednesday, March 7, 2012

.Surgery.

Surgery, is not something that I have a personal experience with. I do have my own opinions on it though.

I do not believe that surgery is the best or only option at all times. At times, it is the best option. Some peoples scoliosis can progress to the point that it is hard for them to breath, because the spine will start to push against the ribs and lungs. Or, it can progress to the point that they are in major pain constantly, that no amount of pain killers can help to lessen. When your scoliosis gets to that point, then I would say that surgery is probably the BEST option.

When I hear people say that surgery is the ONLY option, that really makes me upset. Its not. There is always physical therapy. (Also bracing..not what I would EVER suggest though.) There are many different types of physical therapies, that I will talk about in a different post. 

From what I have heard, and learned from reading, and listening to my own doctors talk, surgery can sometimes cause more pain to a person, than a severe case of scoliosis can. I know of a patient that my doctor is doing some rehab with right now, has curvatures that are over 100 degrees, and she still has normal respiratory numbers, and is only a little sore. But, there are also some people that have cases of scoliosis that are only in the 30's or 40's but they have very low respiratory numbers. Every ones case is different, just like every one body is too.

If you think about how a scoliosis surgery works, having two metal rods, a bunch of screws, and possibly other medal and plastic objects put all up your back, and having to have a large incision from the top of your back to the very bottom, you would probably grimace in pain. I know I do.

But, if a person is already in A LOT of pain, then a surgery may be what the best thing to do is.

No comments:

Post a Comment